Re: Validator misleads content negotiation; prefers CSS

Hi Ilya,

On Monday, Oct 6, 2003, at 02:39 Asia/Tokyo, Ilya Konstantinov wrote:

> I've noticed a problem with the W3 Validator.

The fact is, the W3C is hosting a number of validators, so we need to
know which validator you are actually talking about. This list is
primarily for the Markup validator, but from what I read below...

> validate a page (not a CSS document), it sends the request as
> user agent "Jigsaw/2.2.0 W3C_CSS_Validator_JFouffa/2.0.",

You seem to be talking about the CSS validator, which is a distinct
service to check stylesheets (standalone, or embedded in HTML).

> I believe prefering text/css over text/html for HTML page validation is
> wrong.

I think this is where you are slightly mistaken. There is nothing wrong
with the CSS validator, which I believe you are using, prefering CSS.
The service to check markup itself is the Markup Validator, at
<http://validator.w3.org>

Could you confirm that if you use this service you don't run into that
kind of trouble?

Regards,
--
olivier