Re: Doctype override

>I see lots of confusion about the new doctype override feature. People
>think they have to select a document type from the list and I have to
>admit, a form like
>
>Document Type: [_______________]
>
>implies the same thing to me, even though I would think about the
>"detect automatically".

That's part of the reason why the form has been trimmed down to a bare
minimum in the development version[0].

>Validator should check, whether selected document type and document
>type found in the document match and not give that hoorrible warning
>about doctype override in effect if they match, especially because it
>is not in effect in that case.

Well, see, the thing is that the override _is_ actually in effect. We have
removed their original DOCTYPE and inserted our own. Granted we've probably
just inserted the exact same DOCTYPE, but still...

I'm not sure whether to treat the warning as if it doubles as a warning
that we might have done something wrong in addition to warning that they've
failed to add a DOCTYPE.

If I can easily and elegantly implement what you suggest I probably will,
but I don't think I'll make it a very high priority. I'm open to having my
priorities modified though, if you think this is a more important issue.

[0] - <URL:http://validator.w3.org:8001/>.