Re: [selectors4] multiple pseudo-elements per selector

On 06/21/2017 12:02 PM, Bruce Lawson wrote:
> Hello fellow Stylistics
>
> ever since I can remember, the line "A future version of this specification may allow multiple pseudo-elements per selector."
>
> What's the reason for that? What's the reason it's not currently allowed?

Pseudo-elements aren't just filtering which element is selected:
they actually create structure in the box tree. So if we have a
pseudo element attached to a pseudo-element, it creates a box
structure that doesn't currently exist, and pseudo-element box
structures can be particularly intricate and complicated to
implement since many of them don't fit into the box's tree
structure.

Therefore we intend to only allow specific combinations--those
that are needed for particular use cases.

~fantasai