Re: [cssom] preferred order of shorthand props

On Tue, 15 Mar 2016 16:41:13 +0100, Greg Whitworth <gwhit@microsoft.com>
wrote:

> I was curious what the reasoning behind this statement in step #3 for
> preferred order:
>
>      # Move all items in shorthands that begin with "-" (U+002D) but do
> not begin with "-webkit-" last in the list, retaining their relative
> order.
>
> What is the purpose of singling out webkit in this case and ordering it
> differently from other shorthands? I tried searching the list but
> couldn't find anything specific as to the reasoning for this.

IIRC, my thinking was that it would be more Web-compatible (with
"WebKit-only content") to prefer serializing -webkit- over other supported
vendor prefixes. (The spec prefers prefixless properties over prefixed
ones though.) I don't have data that indicates that it is indeed more
compatible, and I don't know if this is implemented anywhere. It looks
like Gecko serializes `-moz-user-select: text` rather than
`-webkit-user-select: text`.

http://software.hixie.ch/utilities/js/live-dom-viewer/saved/4008

I'm happy to change the spec to something else like preferring the
vendor's own prefix if implementors prefer that, although that seems
slightly worse for interop.

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software