Re: [CSSWG][css-shapes] CSS Shapes Level 1 Candidate Recommendation

On 7/26/15, 12:14 PM, "Brad Kemper" <brad.kemper@gmail.com> wrote:

>> On Jul 23, 2015, at 9:49 PM, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> On Jul 23, 2015, at 9:02 PM, Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com> wrote:

>>> This is a compelling reason for me to change it. I’ll use “Enlarging”
>>> instead.
>>
>> Not to be too nit-picky, but I’d suggest “Expanding”. “Enlarging”
>>sounds like you are scaling it up instead of applying a positive offset.
>>The version of Adobe Illustrator I have at home has “Offset Path” that
>>is more or less the same, but it allows negative offsets. For
>>border-image, we had ‘border-image-outset’, so you could say
>>“Outsetting”, but that isn’t really meaning what the typical dictionary
>>definition is: setting out on a journey (though Googling “offsetting
>>path” can make it more clear).
>
>FYI, the Hans Muller blog post used the word “expanded”:
>
>“A shape-outside boundary can be expanded by a CSS length property called
>shape-margin,”
>
>http://hansmuller-webkit.blogspot.com/2014/03/a-simpler-algorithm-for-css-

>shapes.html

Sure. Expand and enlarge are synonyms. Either works, and it just happened
to be enlarge that came to mind when I made the change. I don’t quite
understand your nitpicking between the two. Here are the definitions I
find in Dictionary.app:

become or make larger or more extensive

make or become bigger or more extensive

Can you tell which one is which? Do we really need to spend more time
emailing back and forth on this?

Thanks,

Alan