Re: [css-sizing][css-flexbox] intrinsic min/max-width/height values and percentage children

On 08/20/2015 05:37 PM, Daniel Holbert wrote:
> On 07/30/2015 07:33 PM, Greg Whitworth wrote:
>>>
>>> The
>>> fact that you need to do a two pass layout to resolve them doesn't seem to
>>> be hindrance at this point, are you receiving bug reports regarding poor perf
>>> on flex dependent sites?
>
> Yes, we have received bug reports with poor performance on particular
> sometimes-pathological configurations of deeply-nested flex containers.
>   We also encountered poor performance with a proof-of-concept experiment
> about converting every element in the Firefox UI to be "display:flex".
>
> It's possible that some of the deeply-nested two-pass layout steps can
> be optimized away with appropriate precomputation and/or re-use of
> cached sizes, though, and Firefox just needs additional optimizations to
> take advantage of these opportunities.  So I'm not yet sure how
> fundamentally-unavoidable the perf impact/blowup is from this two-pass
> layout, at this point.

Based on discussions with all of you, we have updated the spec
to say that percentages do resolve against the automatic minimum.
   https://drafts.csswg.org/css-flexbox-1/#change-2015-min-auto-intrinsic-percentages
Let me know if that looks good.

Wrt optimization, I think you can optimistically assume that most
cases won't be controlled by the min-size, and only do extra work
if that isn't so.

~fantasai