Re: CSS Regions considered harmful

On 1/23/14, 12:58 PM, "Håkon Wium Lie" <howcome@opera.com> wrote:

>Alan Stearns wrote:
>
> > >How would the the example work in the below image when you have a
>larger
> > >font-size?
> > >

>>http://www.w3.org/TR/2013/WD-css3-regions-20130528/images/regions-intro-r

>>endering.png
> >
> > As coded in the appendix, the content would re-fragment through the
>region
> > chain, and the last region resizes to fit whatever remains. The last
> > region is auto-height, so it sizes to fit the content.
>
>Is there an implementation which renders the first example as
>intended? I'd like to play with the code. My concern is reusability --
>it seems that the style sheet will leave large unused areas when
>combined with a short documents?

Whether that happens depends on how you set up your grid layout. If the
grid areas collapse when there’s no content to fill them, then there will
not be unused areas in the layout. I’m open to changing the code to use an
adaptive grid layout instead of percentages, but then the example becomes
more about creating an adaptive grid than demonstrating the named flow
capabilities.

Thanks,

Alan