Re: [css3-fonts] "font-feature-settings: none" shorthand?

Tab Atkins wrote:

> > It would be useful to have a shorthand on font-feature-settings
> > that is the same as enumerating all features and specifying 'off'
> > for each feature.
>
> Agreed.  As a general principle, any list-valued property should
> accept "none".

Not sure this makes sense as a general principle. I think in general
it only makes sense in the context of a property where 'normal'
implies "do something" rather than "do nothing", which is only a small
minority of CSS properties.

However, in this case having a 'none' value is probably a bad idea.
Many OpenType properties that would be enabled by default or enabled
for certain scripts should *not* be disabled unless there's a very
good reason to do so.  For example, required ligatures in Arabic
('rlig').  Providing a 'none' value is just inviting disaster in the
hands of an author who doesn't understand the minutiae of the OpenType
model.  For authors that explicitly want to disable required features,
that's still possible.

Cheers,

John Daggett