Re: [css4-background] use cases for 'border-corner-shape'?

On Sun, 2013-03-24 at 12:14 -0700, L. David Baron wrote:
> http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css4-background/#border-corner-shape appears
> to me to be an example of a feature that's addressing a problem that
> we don't have -- or at least that we don't have enough to be worth
> adding such a feature.  I think it should be removed.

If the shapes are what I think (pictures are sorely needed) these sorts
of borders are very common in print, especially in display advertising.
They are commonly used with a double-line border in which one line is
thick and the other thin.

I can give you some print examples if you want, although pretty much any
newspaper or magazine is likely to have some.

Of course, print and advertising borders often have a design at top
centre too, and also half-way up the sides (or optically centered) which
CSS borders don't do. I'd actually rather see ways to extend/grow SVG
borders without scaling (e.g. using animation or interpolation).

> So before agreeing to accept
> this new feature, I'd like to see examples of Web sites that are
> doing what these values would do.

I don't buy this argument - "before building a bridge I want to see
people who jump or swim across the river".

Adding complexity is to be avoided, but the question isn't, "is this new
feature something people already do without the new feature?" but, "what
can people do with this new feature?"

Liam