Re: [css3-multicol] column rules drawn between adjacent columns

Gérard Talbot wrote:

 > "
 > Column rules are only drawn between two columns that both have content.
 > "
 > http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-multicol/#column-gaps-and-rules
 >
 > but there is an exception later described:

I don't think of it as an exception, just a clarification of what
"having content" means.

 > "
 > [Example XVII]
 > If a tall image is moved to a column on the next page to find room for it,
 > its natural column may be left empty. If so, the column is is still
 > considered to have content for the purpose of deciding if the column rule
 > should be drawn.
 > "
 > http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-multicol/#column-rule
 >
 > First of all, the word "is" appears twice:
 >
 > "(...) the column is is still considered (...)"

Good catch, now fixed in the editor's draft:

  http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-multicol/

 > Second, I am not entirely sure what is meant by "natural column" in
 > Example XVII; it seems to be the column box of first row, with the second
 > row being on next page. For sure, I would want to see a real example with
 > code here.

 > in paged media.

The example may be misleading; moving a tall image to the next page
would rarely leave a column empty. (It could happen if the output
document has pages of different heights, I guess.) So I suggest we
drop the example.

-h&kon