From: Tom Potts
Sent: Friday, October 05, 2012 8:36 AM
To: Tab Atkins Jr. ; François REMY
Cc: www-style@w3.org
Subject: Re: [css-variables] Which value is substituted?
Thanks, Tab, François, I think those answers comprehensively answer my question. :o)

If I can hijack the thread a little: François, why did you pick the specified value for 'use()'? The reason I started thinking about this was the kinds of non-obvious circular references Tab mentioned in an older thread.  For example
    line-height: 2em;
    font-size: use(line-height);
is a circular reference if 'use' produces the computed value; if it's reversed, as in
    font-size: 2em;
    line-height: use(font-size);
then neither version is a circular reference, but using the specified value produces lines twice as high as using the computed value.

So I'm not sure which is "correct" (if either) for 'use'; I'd be interested to hear why you've gone in the direction you have.

Thanks,
Tom

On 4 October 2012 17:38, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 11:48 PM, Tom Potts <karaken12@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, all.  Sorry if this has already been answered, but it wasn't clear to me
> from reading the spec.  When using a custom property reference (i.e.
> "var(foo)"), the spec says to substitute the "value" of the associated
> variable (relevant quotes are "... the variable's value is substituted as
> normal" and "A variable is substituted for its value in the property value
> at computed-value time.").  What's not clear to me here is what "value"
> actually means in this context.  The only reasonable candidates I can think
> of are the specified value and the computed value, but I think it's
> important which one of these is meant, and I don't think it's clear in the
> spec as written.

Oh, good catch!  I don't actually define that.  I'll fix.

It's the computed value (after resolving any var() references in the
corresponding var-* property, so that you're left with a var()-less
value).