Re: [cssom] draft of color serialization rules

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 12:31 PM, Sylvain Galineau
<sylvaing@microsoft.com> wrote:
>>The question is how much to we want to break working pages/content? For example, if I thought that were feasible, I would >specify that no space followed commas, e.g., rgb(0,0,0) instead of rgb(0, 0, 0).
>
>>However, my understanding of the goals of CSSOM is that, all things considered, it should try to capture current practice >when it appears there is significant consensus towards a common behavior. At present, that common behavior seems use rgb() >rather than rgba() for opaque colors.
>
> Code that handles both correctly wouldn't be affected by choosing one result over the other. And new code would be simpler.
>
> You're of course right about code that assumes rgb() strings: that could suddenly start breaking.

I know from experience that, if you're using jQuery to get color
values, and you want your website to work on IE, you have to be able
to parse *all* of the variants - rgb/a(), hsl/a(), 3 and 6 digit hex,
and named colors.  I had to add several of those parsing modes to an
old project. :/

Because of this, I suspect that most working parsers can handle quite
a bit, so we can choose what representation we'd like.  I'm less
confident about their ability to handle the presence/absence of spaces
between components.