Re: line-height suggestions and easier alignment

Scott Johnson wrote:

> Perhaps I'm missing something important, but isn't Richard just
> advocating that we add another option so that an author could control
> where the spacing for line-height is applied? I don't see why creating
> an additional option that modifies the behavior of line-height, in a
> future version of CSS, would be controversial.

I'm not sure that it is controversial in itself. Rather, I think the
whole manner in which CSS handles line height might be controversial. My
own concern is that both the present CSS line-height behaviour and the
proposed option might be overlooking factors from the font side that
need to be understood. That was the spirit in which I provided
information about how typographers generally reckon leading for aligned
columns, as a baseline-to-baseline measure.

JH