Re: [css3-content] sizing of images inserted using the content property

On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 8:06 AM, Florian Rivoal <florianr@opera.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Nov 2011 16:50:59 +0100, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> As Boris is saying, the 2.1 processing model for images in 'content'
>> is to render them as an anonymous inline box in the element.  They are
>> then unsizeable by traditional means.
>>
>> Content 3 is *way* out of date here (if you're looking at the ED, it
>> has that big obsoletion notice on it).
>
> Right, I saw that notice. But webkit (at least in its chrome incarnation)
> follows this obsolete ED when it comes to images in non-pseudos, which is
> causing some (admittedly minor) interoperability problem for Opera, since
> we don't.
>
> I am fine considering this a bug in the spec and in chrome/webkit, but
> I wonder if webkit people are interested in touching this as long as
> css3-content is in its current state.

Oh, huh, I didn't realize we supported that.  We're buggier than you
let on, though - we appear to *only* support the <image> argument for
content on non-pseudos.

Do you know who depends on this?  We should fix this bug, even if it's
just by jumping ahead and switching to the 'replaced <image>' grammar.

>> The correct solution, when I
>> or someone else has time to pick the spec up, is to add another value
>> to 'content', something like:
>>
>> ::before { content: replaced url("foo"); }
>>
>> which would make the element into a replaced element.
>
> That sounds reasonable. Was css3-content likely to get an active editor
> any time soon?

Not in the near future.  It's on mine and fantasai's lists, but we're
both busy with other things right now and that's a pretty involved
spec.