Re: [css3-background] color transition line

On Tue, 01 Nov 2011 14:54:26 +0100, Brad Kemper <brad.kemper@gmail.com>
wrote:

>> I think you're reading it as "use the angle an indicator of the
>> location along the partial ellipse of the outer curve, do the same with
>> the inner curve, and connect the dots".
>
> I believe that was the intention.
>
> I thought this meant that for a 45deg ray, "the point on the curve"
> would be where 45deg was perpendicular to the tangent. Is that not
> right? It has been a long time since I have been in a geometry class,
> and describing a point on a curve as an angle has just never come up in
> any of my conversations since then.
>
> The third rendering doesn't look to me like it is where a 45deg angle
> would bisect the outer curve at a place where a tangent to the curve
> would be perpendicular to that angle.

OK, the above doesn't really make sense to me, but the "tangent" part
provides a hint to interpreting the spec in a different way. So it's
supposed to pick a point on the border edge curve where the slope is a
certain number, then the same for the padding edge curve, and the
transition center is a line segment joining those two points? Then maybe
t17-tangent.png is actually what the spec intends to say, though nobody's
actually implemented that. Not sure it makes sense to choose that slope
independently of the border radii, either.

--
Øyvind Stenhaug
Core Norway, Opera Software ASA