Re: [css3-images] Changing the angles in gradients

On May 17, 2011, at 3:33 PM, "Eric A. Meyer" <eric@meyerweb.com> wrote:

>   As an author, I vote for C.  It's consistent with other angles such as transformation rotation, where a 90deg rotation turns an element's top from "North" to "East"-- and frankly, most of us are familiar with bearing angles but don't remember polar angles from school at all.  Blame GPS devices, blame a conspiracy of cartographers if you will, but I think way more people will take naturally to C than A.

My GPS never talks about angles and degrees when it talks to me.

But all the design and editing and publishing software I've used in like the last 25 years (from Aldus, Quark, Macromedia, Adobe, etc.) has always indicated linear direction with zero pointing right and 90 pointing up. And they all, IIRC, also had zero coordinates in upper left and positive coordinates down and to left. So I completely disagree with your premise.

> At 14:52 -0700 5/17/11, Brad Kemper wrote:
>
>> Also, authors are using gradients now, with prefixes. Changing the meaning of such an important part of the syntax at this point, to mean something opposite, would mean breaking Web sites, with little hope that they could be fixed by authors in a way that still supported multiple versions of multiple browsers.
>
>   That's why we have prefixes, as far as I'm concerned-- to let implementors fix bugs and keep pace with changing specs.

How does that help authors who are already using prefixes for 4 browsers, and users who update at different paces? It doesn't. The authors would have to remove all the prefixed gradients, and rely only on the raster images that they had in there as fallbacks.