RE: @font-face and slow downloading

On Wednesday, October 20, 2010 11:52 AM John Daggett wrote:

> Ah, ok, your thinking is that there should be additional @font-face
> syntax to specify the timeout?  Something like this?
>
>   @font-face {
>     font-family: BongoTheFont;
>     src: url(Bongo.woff);
>     font-fallback-timeout: 5;  /* show fallback font after 5 seconds */
>   }
>
> While this is something authors would prefer to control, it seems more
> like a property that should be left to the user to control, since the
> irritation level will vary by user depending upon whether no text or
> popping text is more of an irritant for a given network connection and
> device.

I agree with John that the fallback behavior / FOUT effect should be under user control (and we are talking about educated users here, which are minority of all web users, IMO), but I also like the approach that Beth proposed because it allows authors to control download behavior that otherwise may remain undefined.

Can we marry both approaches where UA would give users full control if they choose to explicitly define fallback timeout(which would override author-specified value), but otherwise use the font-fallback-timeout property value defined by the author?

Thank you,
Vlad