Re: Proposal: Fixed Table Headers in CSS

Hi, TJ-

Tab Atkins Jr. wrote (on 12/9/09 10:42 PM):
> Just to clarify, the idea here is that if the headers of a table would
> scroll off screen while the table itself is still visible, then they
> would 'detach' from the table and act like fixpos boxes, staying
> visible until the table is fully scrolled off of the screen.

Right, thanks for clarifying.

My conception of this is that the headers would stop scrolling when they
hit the very last row... so, the last thing the user would see while
scrolling down is a 2-row table... the header row and the final row.

I guess ideally this is what would happen when the user scrolled up
toward the table from the bottom as well... for example, if the user
jumped to the bottom of the page via a fragment identifier, then
scrolled up, they would see that 2-row table, with the table growing and
the header sticking to the top of the window until the whole table is
passed.

I have no opinion if it should scroll smoothly (with partial rows
showing) or jump row-by-row, or if that should be an author option.

> This would avoid the need for table-internal scroll bars, as you want
> to, in general, avoid page-internal scrolling if at all possible.
> It's just ugly and not very usable.

There are usecases for both, but in general I agree with you.

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG and WebApps WGs