Re: [cssom] Update on the CSSOM

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 17:01:52 +0100, Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org> wrote:
>>
>> Essentially the underlying CSS grammar is analogous to the notion of
>> welformed XML, it allows you to parse stuff that you haven't seen before.
>> That is important as it allows CSS interpreters to recover when they come
>> across features that were added after the interpreter was shipped.
>>
>> I am merely asking for a way to provide web scripts with access to
>> the CSS extension mechanisms through a means to register new
>> properties together with the means to parse the values and construct
>> the corresponding results. I would be happy to provide a more detailed
>> proposal.
>
> I'm not saying this can't be done, I'm merely saying this can't be
> done in the CSSOM, which is what you seemed to request
> (initially). My apologies if I didn't comprehend the request.

My apologies if my request wasn't as clear as it should have been.
Let me put it this way, I believe that such an extension mechanism
should be part of should be part of the next draft of CSSOM and
would add real value going beyond what can be done in today's
browsers.  I guess the next step is for me to put together a more
detailed proposal together with example use cases.