Re: proposal: @supports and :supports

Ben Ward schreef:
> HeroreV wrote:
> > One common problem of CSS that is likely to become
> > worse: When something new is introduced, there is no
> > easy way to give styling that uses it only to UAs that
> > support it, and use older methods for UAs that do not.
> >

> This concept has been done a few times before and rejected. I'd
> recommended searching the archives for "!required", which was designed
> to achieved much the same thing.
>
> Off the top of my head, it fell down on a number of issues, one of
> which centred around the requirement for user agents to implement it
> correctly and be honest about which CSS features they support.
> Furthermore, the concept of supporting a particular CSS feature does
> not indicate whether the feature is supported _accurately_, without
> bugs. As such, the value of features like this has been shown to
> evaporate quite quickly and it all comes out looking a bit too Utopian
> to work in practice.

On the other hand, there is a mechanism in CSS of dropping unrecognised
declarations.

What if the naming was changed to stop suggesting the ‘support’ of a
feature (something that marketing may be sensitive to), and instead
simply allow to query whether a certain declaration was dropped? So
@declaration-dropped, or something? That should be simple enough to
query, and would allow for one dropped declaration to cause larger
amounts of declarations to be dropped.

~Grauw