Re: Simple template-based editing

On 10/3/05, Daniel Glazman <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com> wrote:

> Matthew Raymond wrote:
>
> >>select is a list of radios, multi-select is a list of checkboxes .
> >>They differ only by style of presentation (nb!) and very slightly by
> >>behavior.
> >
> >    Wrong. The <select> element is a form control with specific
> > form-related attributes. Even if you make another element a form control
> > via styling, you'll still need those attributes. Behavior isn't enough.
>
> Sorry, Andrew is 100% right here. A select _is_ a list of items.
> An <ul> is a list of items and a <select> is a list of choices.
> It only adds more granularity to the semantic definition - and
> even that is questionable since it can be called a behavioural
> difference - but you can't change the big image.
>
> A list is a list is a list...

Not quite, at least in my mind. UL and OL have slightly different
semantics even though they're built on the same basis (a hierchical
list). A select is a non-hierchical list (or partially hierchical with
optgroup). Also the items do lack a value attribute, though that's a
technilogical issue and not a semantic one; value is used as
identification because it's often easier to work with.

Though if you really want to look at things, everything is a list as
everything can be looked at as 0 to many items with most falling into
that exactly 1 status. Then again, that doesn't do us much good does
it?

--

Orion Adrian