Re: Fourth value for background-attachment?

Emrah BASKAYA wrote:

> What Kelly Miller means is, there should be a third option where the
> image  is fixed relative to the ELEMENT and not WINDOW, and had been
> outlined  very nicely by Peter-Paul Koch at
> http://www.quirksmode.org/css/background.html .
>
> He says there should be a third option for the background-attachment
> properties, that is what Kelly is talking about, I believe.
>
> I had earlier read this at quirksmode and I really like the idea, but
> I am  sure someone on the list will manage to find a fundemental flaw
> with the  idea that I possibly could never think of.
>
> On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 19:44:17 +0300, Kelly Miller
> <lightsolphoenix@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Anne van Kesteren wrote:

>>> You can just apply it to the root element... And if that isn't
>>> enough,  you can also apply multiple background images to the root
>>> element with  the current CSS3 proposal...
>>>

>> I don't think you're quite getting what I'm saying.  Yes, you could
>> apply it to the root element, but what I'd rather do is apply it to the
>> element that actually represents where I want the image to display.
>> Basically, I want a type of background-attachment that allows me to use
>> background-position where 0, 0 is the top left of the document, but the
>> only part displayed is the part where the element intersects with the
>> image.  Basically, this would be to fixed what the new 'local' value is
>> to scroll.

Actually, no, that's not what I'm saying.  What you decribe is the new
background-attachment value 'local' (this is actually what IE uses for
the value of scroll).  What I mean is something that works like this new
local value, but is fixed with regards to the window.  But logically, if
a background is attached relative to the window but scrolls, it's
actually attached relative to the DOCUMENT (or the root element,
technically).  What I'm suggesting is a value like this; it would make
it easier to line up background images in layouts where normally slicing
would be needed.

--
http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ - Get Firefox!
http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/ - Reclaim Your Inbox!