Re: Opacities

Anne van Kesteren (fora) wrote:

I also find the lack of ability to separate opacity from foreground and
background annoying.

>> Is there any reason for not including something like this in CSS3?
>

> This came along quite recently:
>
> <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2004Apr/0059.html>
>
> It wasn't answered by anyone of the CSS WG though. But I think, Ian
> explained me bit, we don't need it since images already have a 'opacity'
> that can be applied to them (PNG, SVG). The rest can be done using RGBA
> and 'opacity'.

Yes, but what about jpeg, the most common image format. If a browser has
the ability to do opacity on the entire element, then it should also be
able to separate it between foreground and background, who wants to use
large bulky PNG files when it could be done with a tiny jpeg and opactiy
via the browser. Non-support of separating the opacity will result in
hacks using absolute positioning and the like to get background opacity
but not foreground opacity.

Personally I think this is a feature that will continue to be requested
many times. It really isn't a pricey addition anyway since opacity is
already supported via the opacity property. The convenience and consumer
demand of such a feature out-weighs any perceived bloatedness (if that's
a word) it might bring IMHO. By the same token not supporting it will
result in uneccessary hacks even if the effect can be done with PNG, SVG
or any other graphic format.

Regards,
Richard York

--