Re: [CSS21] Font-family syntax

On Fri, 6 Aug 2004, Etan Wexler wrote:

> There are many syntactic constructs which, though allowed by the prose
> description of 'font-family', are forbidden by the Appendix G grammar [GRAM].
> As noted, the bare commercial at sign (U+0040) is one. It becomes necessary to
> move to a value syntax like that in section 4, the core syntax  [SD]:

Actually we (the working group) just decided to change the prose. It was
easier.

It will now read:

"If an unquoted font family name contains parentheses, brackets, and/or
braces, they must still be escaped per CSS grammar rules. Similarly, quote
marks, semicolons, exclamation marks, commas and leading slashes within
unquoted font family names must be escaped."

(CSS2.1 CR issues 48 and 49.)