Re: [css3-speech] Proposal: an aural box model

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 11:41:01 +0200, fantasai
<fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:

> Are you suggesting we define pause-collapsing like margin collapsing? :)
>
> IMO, the pause should really be outside the cue. If I'm pausing between
> list elements, I would pause after the ending cue of one and before the
> beginning cue of the next, and not so much between the cue and its
> content.
>
> And pauses should collapse, because if I have markup like this:
>      <li>list item
>    </list>
> </section>
> <section>
>    <title>Title</title>
>
> I wouldn't want the pause-after of a
> list item to *concatenate* with the pause-after of the list itself /and/
> the pause-after of the section /and/ the pause-before of the next section
> /and/ the pause-before of the title. I'd just want to pause for the
> maximum
> of all of them. Unless, of course, one of them has a cue.
>
> So, imho, the box model for aural css should be
>
>    pause-before
>    cue-before
>    cue-padding-before
>    content
>    cue-padding-after
>    cue-after
>    pause-after
>
> where cue-padding pads the cue so it doesn't run up against the edge of
> the
> content (the same way padding in visual CSS pads the border so it
> doesn't run
> up against the content).

Yes, this was my original thought - but I do not particularly like
'cue-padding-before' and 'cue-padding-after': it is not clear that
'cue-padding-before' actually is the padding after the cue-before... :)

'pause', IMHO, might indeed make more sense at the outer extremities of
the aural 'box model' - which, as fantasai pointed out to me, actually is
more of a 'line model', not being three-dimensional: aamof it is only
one-dimensional; but to make things less complicated, and for
compatibility with the visual box model, I would propose to stick to the
convention of labeling this model an 'aural box model'.

/c

--
[Quote]
"He is old". But she is wrong. It is not age; it is that a drop has