Re: user defined lists (was Re: List Module Offering)

Daniel, Rijk,

>> Name: 'list-style-skip'
>> Value: <Comma separated list of Unicode values> | none
>> Initial: none
>> Applies to: all elements with 'display: list-item'
>> Inherited: yes
>> Percentages: N/A
>> Media: visual
>> Computed value: specified

> I thought this was a very useful idea and as I imagined uses for it I
> found that I soon wanted 'list-style-insert' and a 'list-style-substitute'
> to further modify predefined list types.

> What might be a better all-in-one solution would be to allow users to
> define their own list styles (I can hear the screams now :-).
Me too. :-)

> This would
> be very liberating to designers who need special purpose list styles or
> who can't wait for CSS4, CSS5, etc to offer new predefined lists.
Though somehow inconvenient. Imagine 150 000 000 Russians using this
property to define the same letters to number their lists. No doubt
there's a need for predefined values and no doubt care must be taken
when defining these values.

Anyway, your proposal seems very helpful as it allows authors to
define numbering systems like "First, Second, Third" or "1st, 2nd,
3rd" instead of plain "1, 2, 3" which is attractive, at least to me.
It also reminds me of ancient numbering systems which used Old
Slavonic and Glagolitic scripts (which, I suppose, are too old for
inclusion into CSS).

> Something along the lines of:

> Name: 'list-style-items'
> Value: <Comma separated list of Unicode values> | none
>  :
>  :

> example:

> OL.myList { list-style-items: xWXYZ, xZYXW, xXYZW, xYZWX, xZWXY, etc; }
I've just received another letter of yours, so (before we dive into
all these things) why don't we wait until a member of the WG looks at
this and gives a response? (like, "off-topic" might be a start)

Rijk van Geijtenbeek writes:
> But it is the case with some Latin numbering systems. I've seen many
> (well, ok, not that many) lists were the letter J was omitted. The
> practice seems to be much less common since the intrcuction of the
> electronic text processor...
Lucky you. As I already have said in my previous letter this system
has nothing to deal with typewriters, there are other reasons.

Btw, this discussion may be worth copying to www-international (just
don't want to take the cross-posting responsibility).

Best regards,
---
  Alexander "Croll" Savenkov         http://www.thecroll.com/
  w3@hotbox.ru                            http://croll.da.ru/