Re: Semantic information for math representations of physics

JB Collins wrote:

>I am interested in representing equations in physics
>using content MathML. This is something I'm new to, so
>I'm exploring the ability of MathML to help me.
>
>One deficit in the math concepts I have found so far
>is that the Dirac Delta Function is not represented.
>Is this correct?
>
>I am aware of the recommendation regarding physical
>units. This does not, however, cover the full semantic
>information that representing an equation in physics
>requires. Here are some other requirements:
>
>(1) A key requirement is to represent, for example,
>that /rho represents the density of a certain physical
>object.
>
>(2) I might also want to give names to certain
>constructs, such as NewtonianSpaceTime for the
>specific instance of a metric-space (and time) of
>Newtonian physics, or the name of Newtons2ndLaw to a
>statement about F=ma.
>
>(3) Vectors are often elements of NewtonianSpaceTime.
>Can I declare them to be of that type? I would also
>like to declare PhysicalObject as a class. Can I do
>this?
>
>Any insights are welcome.
>
>Regards,
>Joe C.

>http://mail.yahoo.com

Hi JB

 If it interests you, I am developing stylesheets that transform
mathml(content) 2.0 to runtime binding of Java classes.  The project is
open source and reposited at http://sourceforge.net/projects/mathml-x/
where I am also placing examples of application.  The use of svg, x3d
and femml( for data controlled finite element analysis) are applied in
concert with mathml for applications in physics, etc.  The transforms
are for differentiation, vectors and linear algebra, integrals(tables
when possible, otherwise numerical), complex numbers, math transforms,
differentiatial equations, etc.  I''m discovering and exploring many new
programming techniques with this project.  If there is an area you would
need or find interesting I would be interested in implementing that
portion of  the mathml-x project to support it.  Currently I'm working
on vector and arrays for shapes for meshes which include NURBS,
extrusions and other surface generation.  Am interested in moving
boundaries(for the US Navy's interests). Using svg, x3d and femml to
organize the pieces and for final output for displays.  Contact if this
interests you.

Regards,

Roger