{ MY COMMENT:  +1 Agreed this is a good solution; thanks. }

From: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 01:38:49 +0200
To: CE Whitehead <cewcathar@hotmail.com>
Cc: www-international@w3.org
> CE Whitehead, Sun, 18 Apr 2010 19:19:15 -0400:
>> Leif Halvard Silli,  Sat, 17 Apr 2010 02:45:31 +0200
>> Elsewhere however Koch notes that:
>>> in languages based on XHTML Modularization 1.1, the empty string is
>>> (formally) DTD-valid and XML-Schema-valid.
>> and that:
>>>  in "XHTML 1.1 + RDFa" the empty string is (formally) DTD-valid.
> And he could have added HTML5 and XHTML5, were it is also valid.
>> As I think you know, Richard Ishida suggests using lang="und"
>> where lang= the empty string is not supported in xml; otherwise his
>> article recommends
>> the use of the emptry string that the working group is now trying to
>> make invalid; see:
>> http://www.w3.org/International/questions/qa-no-language
Oops, I meant to say that the working group is trying to make the emptry string invalid for  the meta Content-language element; apparently the emptry string will remain valid for the html tag regardless -- whether it's processed or not.
> Thanks for the pointer. Since XHTML5 and HTML5 support the empty
> string, the consequence of the advice in that article, must be that one
> should *not* use "und" in XHTML5 and HTMl5.
> The problem, however, is browser support ... They do not seem to care
> about the so called "schema". 'und' has better support than the empty
> string.
So -- if the emptry string is disallowed for the meta content-language element --
lang='und' will be the best option?
(It sort of bugs me to declare the language as 'und' when there are two known document languages -- neither having preference of course or that could be the language declaration in the meta content-language element in this case --; but if 'und' works . . .)

Best,
C. E. Whitehead
cewcathar@hotmail.com