What to do with Gaulish (was Re: rfc4646. Some analysis code)

On Wednesday, November 8, 2006, 4:36:06 PM, Frank wrote:

FE> Chris Lilley wrote:

>> Does that mean (since cel-gaulish was not on your irregular list, and
>> also given that cel is a registered tag and gaulish is five-to-eight
>> letters) that I can now write things like

>> cel-GRK-gaulish

>> to describe, say a gaulish legend on a coin, written in ancient greek
>> script?

FE> If you want to combine "regular" registered subtags in the ways
FE> defined in RFC 4646 they all need to be registered. The "cel" is
FE> okay. The "GRK" is a typo, the registered scripts have four letters
FE> like "Grek".

Yes.

FE> And cel-Grek-gaulish would be "well-formed" for the reasons you've
FE> stated.

FE> But gaulish is no registered variant at the moment,

I'm becoming more convinced that Gaulish should have been registered as
a language by itself without the cel- prefix (I was talked into the
latter, by Michael Everson as I recall).

Its a language, not a variant; in the same way that Irish and Welsh are not
'variants' and English is not a variant of German.

FE> therefore cel-Grek-gaulish is "invalid". The grandfathered tags like
FE> cel-gaulish can't be combined with other subtags.

Right (but the recent distinction between grandfathered and irregular
briefly gave me some hope there).

FE> If for some reason a variant gaulish is registered later

I plan to, once I can figure out how to do it. Which is not at all
clear. Can anyone point to the procedure?

FE> the old "cel-gaulish" would be reclassified as "redundant" instead
FE> of "grandfathered", and then the tag cel-Grek-gaulish would be
FE> "valid" (= consisting of registered subtags in the proper
FE> positions).

Right

FE> How to find any cel-Grek-gaulish document is another question, not
FE> all "valid" tags make sense... :-)

Not sure of your intent with that sentence, can you clarify? Yes, I saw the
smiley, but that didn't help me make sense of it.

If you question is 'are there any documents in Gaulish written in Greek
script' the the answer is 'yes, a couple of hundred primary ones and a
potentially larger number of secondary sources discussing them'.

If I get time at the weekend I will put one up that has both Gaulish
written in Latin script and Gaulish written in Greek script, in the same
document.

 Interaction Domain Leader
 Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead