Re: UTF-8 problem with Japanese characters

At Wed, 24 Apr 2002 13:23:04 +0900,
Debmalya Biswas <debmalya_biswas@infy.com> wrote:
> I have heard from people that UTF-8 does not support all Japanese
> characters.

Unicode (character set for UTF-8) may not include *all* Japanese
characters, Unicode 3.2 contains all charecters defined in JIS X 0201,
JIS X 0208, JIS X 0212 and JIS X 0213. In other words, UTF-8 supports
any characters that are supported in Shift_JIS, EUC-JP and
ISO-2022-JP.

> I was doing some research on it myself and found that
> although I was able to display an HTML page containing Japanese
> characters after setting the charset to shift-jis, the same does not seem to be
> working for UTF-8.

Most browser is capable to display Japanse in UTF-8. Tell us what
browser in which version you use to display what document and you'll
get better help.

One possibility of not displaying UTF-8 Japanese I can think of is
that your browser is Netscape 4.x for Windows and font setting for
Unicode (or UTF-8, I don't remember exactly) is not set to Unicode or
Japanse font.

> I am also facing similar kind of problem in Java.

The following page might be helpful.

http://www.sun.com/developers/gadc/faq/java/files/cjkv.html

Shigemichi Yazawa
yazawa@globalsight.com