Re: URL Spec rewrite (bug 25946) and galimatias test results

On 10/29/14 6:09 AM, Valentin Gosu wrote:
> I think the content at http://intertwingly.net/projects/pegurl/url.html
> would represent a nice addition to https://url.spec.whatwg.org/, but
> can't really replace the parsing steps we already have.

Care to explain why?

> It would be great to have a regex/state-machine like visual
> representation of the url bits (very useful when looking for things that
> are not allowed), but the steps to implement the parsing algorithm are
> also necessary if you're writing a new url-parser or simply debugging
> your own.

I'll note that the diagrams are generated from the same source used by
my proposed reference implementation, and any additional steps necessary
are defined immediately after the diagrams.

FYI, all the code is available here:

https://github.com/rubys/url

You can build both the spec and the reference implementation using
'make'.  Note: please read the top of the Makefile for prerequisite
information.

For those that would rather not build it themselves, you can see this
code in action here:

http://intertwingly.net/projects/pegurl/liveview.html

What may also be of interest is the following source file:

https://github.com/rubys/url/blob/peg.js/url.pegjs

In it, you will find spec text (inside JavaScript comments), actual
JavaScript that matches the spec text (inside curly braces), and a
textual representation of the grammar (in Peg.js format).

> So it would be really good if we could have the same simplified visual
> style in the whatwg spec, and keep the parsing steps as a detailed view.

Eliding the details is definitely a possibility.

- Sam Ruby