Re: vCard RDF merge....

Dear all:

I begin to worry - we really need to have a consolidated vcard2006
recommendation quickly. It does not matter whether it is imperfect or
incomplete, but it is needed. Basically, the subset of patterns
suggested by Yahoo would work fine for me (including their suggestion to
use plain strings instead of URIs for phone numbers / tel:).

In my group alone, there are a handful of tools that are necessarily
hard-wired to the vcard modeling patterns, and we need to finalize them.
Even worse, people are already using those tools for creating meta-data
for their businesses, and we will really kill the growing momentum if we
ask them to update the data structures on a weekly basis.

So if it is actually more complicated than assessed in Crete to produce
a consolidated 2006 spec, then let's rather create two activities - a
quick fix, i.e. a compatible subset based on the Yahoo patterns, and a
comprehensive update of the spec, which should try to be
backwards-compatible with the subset. For the latter, we would have an
arbitrary amount of time ;-)

In a nutshell, I really think we should do what we can do in two weeks
from now or sooner. It puts a break on the whole Web of Linked Data
movement if we are unable to give people a step-by-step recipe on how to
publish their contact details as meta-data.

Uncertainty is the key evil to the adoption of standards and novel
technology...

Best

Martin

Renato Iannella wrote:

> Thanks for the discussion everyone....
>
> Firstly, the 2001 Note and 2006 Ontology were focussed on vCard 3.0....
>
> Since vCard 4.0 is close to final...not that many changes to
> go...should we simply say....leave the NOTE/Ontology as they are and
> lets do the RDF for vCard 4.0 ?
>
> Comments?
>
> Cheers...  Renato Iannella
> NICTA

martin hepp
e-business & web science research group
universitaet der bundeswehr muenchen

e-mail:  mhepp@computer.org
phone:   +49-(0)89-6004-4217
fax:     +49-(0)89-6004-4620
         http://www.heppnetz.de/ (personal)
skype:   mfhepp
twitter: mfhepp

Webcast:
http://www.heppnetz.de/projects/goodrelations/webcast/

Recipe for Yahoo SearcMonkey:
http://tr.im/rAbN

Talk at the Semantic Technology Conference 2009:
"Semantic Web-based E-Commerce: The GoodRelations Ontology"
http://tinyurl.com/semtech-hepp

Overview article on Semantic Universe:
http://tinyurl.com/goodrelations-universe

Project page:
http://purl.org/goodrelations/

Resources for developers:
http://www.ebusiness-unibw.org/wiki/GoodRelations

Tutorial materials:
CEC'09 2009 Tutorial: The Web of Data for E-Commerce: A Hands-on Introduction to the GoodRelations Ontology, RDFa, and Yahoo! SearchMonkey
http://tr.im/grcec09