Re: Licensing

-public-css-testsuite
+www-archive

Dan Connolly wrote:
> As to an announcement on behalf of the HTML WG... the HTML WG
> hasn't made any test suite licensing decisions. I think
> the people interested in test suite development can work
> for some time without any formal decision from the HTML WG.
> If you think a formal decision is important, please let me know.

I think it's better that we get the licencing issue sorted out sooner
rather than later.  Test case contributors need to be clear about what
licence their test cases will be released under to avoid any potential
copyright issues in the future (just like that going on now in the CSS WG).

However, there was already a file in our test case repository [1] stating:

   Everything you put within this directory (including subdirectories) is
   licensed under the MIT license

Although, it needed to be updated with the proper licence [2], as I
don't believe that statement is sufficient from a legal perspective.  I
have made the change and checked it in [3].

I would prefer to address this issue without the hassles of another
working group survey, if at all possible.  But if such a formal decision
is required (I hope not), then I think we should get it over and done
with.  My preference, however, would be to just make some sort of formal
announcement on public-html-wg-announce and/or public-html-testsuite
that this decision has been made.

[1] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/html5/tests/license.txt?rev=1.1
[2] http://opensource.org/licenses/mit-license.php
[3] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/html5/tests/license.txt?rev=1.2