RE: HTTP Endpoints and Resources

On Wed, 2007-09-26 at 11:56 -0500, Pat Hayes wrote:
> >Rhys,
> >
> >I like your recognition that 200 and 303 URIs have something in common,
> >but please don't refer to the 303 case has having an "http endpoint"
> >that "responds", because doing so would introduce the unnecessary
> >confusion of having the same URI denote two different things: an "http
> >endpoint" and the thing the URI was intended to denote -- a person, for
> >example.
> >
> No. This is confused because of the now venerable confusion, which
> continuously dogs all these discussions, between "identifying" in the
> sense of providing a functional Web-mediated connection to something,
> and referring to an object, aka denoting it. These are (forgive the
> shout) NOT THE SAME THING. Please don't get them confused. A name can
> denote without being attached (like all names off the Web) and it can
> be attached without denoting. This awful word "identifies" sometimes
> means one thing, sometimes another; but the two concepts are
> distinct.

No, they're not.

Argument by assertion. No fun for either side, is it?

To my mind, Web Architecture is mostly about taking those two
notions and jamming them together.

Names off the Web are often used for access too,
as in the case of calling someone's name across a room.

p.s. I'm copying www-archive rather than www-tag because both
of us have said all this in www-tag before, many times.