Re: Starting work on the glossary project

On Tue, 2003-03-25 at 05:31, Dominique Hazaël-Massieux wrote:
> Hi Daniel,

Hi Dominique,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I was out of the office and
without network access for several days last week... just getting caught
back up now.

> We met at the last W3C Tech Plenary and discussed together the core work
> needed for the design of the underlying RDF Schema of a W3C glossary.
>
> I've put Pierre Candela in CC: he's the intern working from France on
> the actual implementation of the glossary.

> been open, I hope we can move forward on designing a good data model and
> the related RDF schema for the project. Is there a specific way you
> would like to proceed for that? For the record, the minutes of the
> meeting we had during the TP are there:
> http://www.w3.org/2003/03/07-glossary.html

I have signed up to the public-glossary mailing list and will try to
participate as much as possible. Could we start a space somewhere to put
a draft schema, some data, and perhaps some tools?

The little bit of work I have done to date can be found at:
    http://eikeon.com/2003/glossary
    http://eikeon.com/2003/02/glossary (the code)

> Besides, Pierre has started to look at the various APIs and tools
> available to work efficiently with RDF. Since his predilection
> programming language seems to be Java, he has been looking especially at
> Jena for now, and just started to look at RedLand. Of course, I've
> pointed him to RDFLib, even though it is in Python (I believe Python is
> enough to learn if needed anyway). Are there any other tools he should
> have a look at? Any page summarizing their advantages/problems?

I am obviously a bit biased toward RDFLib and Redfoot ;) And Python has
a very friendly learning curve. But also think a mixture of toolkits can
be effectively used together if one toolkit works better for a certain
program than another. I am assuming there glossary work will involve
multiple programs... maybe one for scraping terms from non RDF/XML
sources, one that aggregates RDF/XML from a number of source, one that
can render an html view from some RDF/XML, etc.

--
Daniel Krech, http://eikeon.com/

Redfoot.net, http://redfoot.net/
RDFLib.net, http://rdflib.net/