Re: associating a group of related images to a common caption

On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 23:18:36 +0200, Steven Faulkner
<faulkner.steve@gmail.com> wrote:

> hi simon,
>> Yeah, figure has the same association model as fieldset/legend.
>
> where is the association model articulated? Is there an algorithm?
>
> Does every element within a figure (apart from figcaption) get
> labelled by the figcaption?
> Or is it only container elements?
> what form does the association take? Is it the accessible description?
> is it the accessible name?
> does it get concatenated with the an alt on an image or the title on
> any element contained in the <figure>?
>

> Apologies for the barrage of questions.

It's the same as with fieldset/legend.

[[
The legend element represents a caption for the rest of the contents of
the legend element's parent fieldset element, if any.
]]
http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/complete/forms.html#the-legend-element

[[
The figcaption element represents a caption or legend for the rest of the
contents of the figcaption element's parent figure element, if any.
]]
http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/complete/grouping-content.html#the-figcaption-element

How this translates to accessibility APIs is probably up to the UA/AT, I
believe.

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software