Re: TTS from web content?

This is a real need and one that we are targeting in RtF and NPII as key issues.

   The ability to get from the content to TTS on the platform  (eg content controlling a platform technology)  is the toughest part and will require both cooperation with/from Platform vendors and cross platform standards (to allow a web page to access TTS on different platforms).

   For server based TTS we have some good models with WebAnywhere and other efforts.

   Also nice would be methods for finding the best speech for a situation from among any choices that exist for a web page downloaded to an arbitrary computer.  (e.g. would it be better to use what is on the device or in the browser or on the server?)

   I think we should put together the groups needed to explore this and take it beyond discussion phase.  The time is right.     We will need an explore group, a standards group and a commercial implementation group - probably with many of the same members but not completely.  Some are interested only in one or a couple of these.

Gregg
Gregg Vanderheiden Ph.D.
Director Trace R&D Center
and Biomedical Engineering