Re: [XAG] drop search from checkpoint 3.2

Your point is valid, but I think that we should expect search tools to work
across markup boundaries where it makes sense as well as to be capable of
selecting only on certain criteria such as "content of a single element" or
"content of certain types of element".

We effectively need this for consistency with what we already do - consider
searching for the phrase "learn HTML" and wether you would expect it to
return a positive result for

  language">HTML</acronym>.</p>

and for consistency with the checkpoints that ask for elements that mark up
important types of text content, under guideline 2.

Cheers

Chaals

On Thu, 10 Oct 2002, Jim Ley wrote:

>"Charles McCathieNevile" <charles@w3.org>
>> 3.2 Define navigable structures that allow discrete, sequential,
>structured,
>> and search navigation functionalities.
>>
>> I think search -based navigation is a function that properly belongs to
>the
>> user agent, not the XML application, and so we should drop the search
>bit
>> from this checkpoint.
>>

>My reading of enabling "search navigation" was ensuring that the data was
>marked up in such a way as could be simply searched, consider an XML
>format which seperates out each character in a word into a different
>elements, this isn't particularly easily searchable.
>
><word>
> <letter>J</letter>
> <letter>i</letter>
> <letter>m</letter>
></word>
>
>That's probably a rather silly example, but I'm sure you could have data
>models which make searching harder, but it's unlikely people are going to
>use them anyway I guess.
>
>Jim.

SWAD-E http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/Europe ------------ WAI http://www.w3.org/WAI
 21 Mitchell street, FOOTSCRAY Vic 3011, Australia  fax(fr): +33 4 92 38 78 22