RE: Priorities - a proposal

At 11:01 AM 3/20/2001 , Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
>This stuff relates to the standard use in internet specifications of the
>terms MUST, SHOULD, and MAY, as defined by RFC 2119
>http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2119.txt
>
>The point is what is the difference between "the user has no access" and "the
>user effectively has no access"? There are people who can read RTF source and
>find what is going on.

It also raises the question of "which users" or "how many" and "what
must they be using"?  If you can find a case in which one person --
with multiple disabilities and unusual hardware/software -- is unable
to access something, does that make it a P1?  Or not?

E.g., if something is accessible to blind users, and deaf users,
and cognitively impaired users, and limited dexterity users -- but
not to a blind, deaf, limited dexterity, cognitively-impaired user
who isn't running a braille terminal and has no pointer device --
is that "inaccessible" according to P1 priorities?

If something takes one click for a non-disabled user, but requires
5 clicks for a blind user, is that "impossible"?  What about 10
clicks?  What about 25?  What about 100?

What if someone doesn't have a web browser?

What if someone doesn't have a web browser we -like-?

--Kynn

Kynn Bartlett <kynn@reef.com>
Technical Developer Liaison
Reef North America