Re: Tenative meeting on the DOM with AT vendors for the User Agent Guidelines

With structured information such as HTML and XML markup (even when it is done
badly there is structure to the information) it is indeed useful to have
access to all the available structure semat=ntics and the content. I agree -
building an Off Screen Model relies on the content being presented, which may
or may not be the case. The choice then seems to be whether we require of
user agents a way to present all the semantic information (i.e. element types
and their attributes) on screen, or to expose it through an API, or to do at
least one of these.

Following the discussion, it seems that having the information exposed
through an API is generally a superior choice, and the DOM is the natural
choice for documents, although a case could be made for the use of a
platform-specific alternative where one is available - for example the Java
access bridge or Microsoft Active Accessibility.

One thing that does not seem (as I understand the discussion) to follow is a
requiremnt to completely implement the DOM, which provides for manipulation
of the document as well as "read access" to it. Indeed, it could be argued
that doing this makes the browser liable to being an authoring tool, opening
a whole new bag of tricks for accessibility.

(I don't have the answer to this question either. But it seems to be getting
clearer slowly)

Charles McCN