Re: Is Common Failure Technique F87: inserting non-decorative content by using ::before and ::after pseudo-elements; still valid?

I think Phil has a valid point. If one disconnected all CSS, most modern
web pages would have more accessibility failures than just :before and
:after elements, so why single out those two pseudo-elements?

Modern web pages are infinitely more complex than was envisaged in 1999 or
2015. Disabling CSS would cause focus, resize, reflow, use of colour and
goodness knows how many other failures. It would make using modern
selectors such as :not or :has or :focus-within impossible to use.

Kudos for the UK government insisting on web pages work without CSS,
although anyone who has visited a .gov website will agree, they are
terrible UX and difficult for non-accessible users to navigate let alone
accessible users. They should be held more as an example of why well
designed CSS should be required.

Perhaps it is time F87 was removed?

On Friday, March 15, 2024, David Woolley <forums@david-woolley.me.uk> wrote:
> On 15/03/2024 22:10, Phill Jenkins wrote:
>>
>> temporary network errors [hmm, network errors impact HTML same as CSS]
>
> I still encounter these, and they are more disconcerting than a complete
failure to load, as would be the case for HTML.