Re: Unicode characters used as images

On 06/02/2024 14:50, Pyatt, Elizabeth J wrote:
> Sighted users are able to unconsciously distinguish the meaning based on
>   the surrounding text. I recognize that this could be more difficult on a
>   screen reader for a number of reasons.

This is also true of written words in most languages, including English.

(Incidentally I missed that this symbol was being used in the check box
sense, rather than in the tick or cross sense, and I think check marks
would be more accurate Unicode characters.  The Unicode red cross is
clearly indicating a negative.

Also, I think one could consider some emojis to be more a pictographic
written language, which in some cases is a lot less stylised than CJK
type written languages, which have been stylised for easy handwriting.
Tick and cross are, however, abstract symbols.)