(unknown charset) RE: progresive enhancement, and wcag guides?

Adam,
Speaking personally?
There is no such thing as an average end user save in the minds of those
creating statistics.
There are hundreds of millions of people in countless locations all doing
individual things on the web.
The most surprising and best enforcement of the Lynx browser I ever came
across  was in the New York Times, aimed at people wanting to cut down on
data use and bondage issues.  not a single reference to accessibility at
all.
There are those who seek less clutter pages that load faster, clearly
labeled items, etc..and as I understand things, wCAG guidelines provide
that  choice.  across platforms, systems, and items used.
Which I hope helps everyone regardless of the body they have or the tools
they use.
Just my thoughts,
Karen