Re: Inactive buttons, contrast and accessibility

Visually disabled controls and/or functional elements (buttons) are neither
necessary nor recommended (for contrast requirements you noted, when
contrast is method of denoting “disabled”). I accept this design choice as
a hold over when we designers/developers were left to our individual
creativity rather than well researched and tested approaches.

Ensuring there’s a visually present and programmatically readable
“required” labeling on required form controls is step one. Required
attributes as well.

Step two, as mentioned already, is ensuring that an on click of the submit
element (or any functional element that requires user complete an input
prior to event) checks that all information is entered and valid. If it is
not, notification to end user that required inputs have not been made with
instructions for input value, without overburdening the user
informationally.

There are a lot of online programming focused resources to aid
developers/designers. I like MDN. Here’s a starting resource. Check out
quick overview of “required” attribute on form elements:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn/Forms/Form_validation

Hope that helps.