From: Duff Johnson <duff.johnson@pdfa.org>
Sent: Friday, December 1, 2023 3:37 PM
To: Steve Green <steve.green@testpartners.co.uk>
Cc: Mark Magennis <Mark.Magennis@skillsoft.com>; w3c WAI List <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Subject: Re: SC 1.4.10 Reflow and PDFs

HI Steve,

I am distinguishing between the format and implementations thereof.

I start with the fact that nothing about PDF excludes reflow, and indeed, that for >20 years PDF has included features (tagged PDF) specifically intended to enable semantically-correct reflow.

An example of a file format that does exclude reflow would be a image format (JPEG, PNG, whatever) representing, for example, a scanned (or output) page-image.

Accordingly, I’m saying that PDF does not automatically fail the Reflow success criterion. Rather, the question is subject to what is “accessibility supported” at a given point in time.

On the above basis it may be claimed that since content in PDF can be reflowed the format, in itself, therefore “automatically” passes the criterion…  but I fully acknowledge that this claim is subject to accessibility support.

Sidenote: this issue reflects a more general problem with applying extant WCAG criteria to technologies beyond those for which they were designed (HTML/CSS/JS)… but that’s a digression from your question.

Hopefully that’s useful..?

Duff Johnson
PDF Association
pdfa.org