Re: Non-text content loophole

On 23/11/2023 17:41, Ms J wrote:
> My issue is not with users changing things because I know that's a can
> of worms,

Your thread starter was about "this means background colours can't be
customised".

 > but specifically when the author has 'inserted content using > CSS' -
but not via ::before or ::after or background-image. For example,
> in theory you could use divs and spans to make text or numbers. For example:

That example (which seems of a different kind to what you originally
asked) does indeed fail 1.1.1 and probably 1.3.1, as you're using visual
styling to convey information (and arguably creating "non-text content"
/ "images") that are not conveyed in neither text nor markup.

> In the case of the checkbox for example, the checked state is
> programmatically determinable for a sr user. But for other users, they
> have this custom visual mechanism - aka, it's an image, just like the
> example above of the numbers 12345, but an image of a check mark. It's
> more than just 'background colour', it's 'colour used to construct an
> object'. It's really just like comparing a background-image to an image
> with information. I feel like this visual mechanism needs to be
> programmatically determinable for AT other than screen reading software
> so that it's clear it's not just 'background styling' but part of the
> content?

Do the "AT other than screen reading software" not have access to the
markup, where this is explicitly conveyed? What kind of AT are we
talking about here?

> If there was a 'failure' for say 1.3.1 or 1.1.1 that said 'The visual
> mechanism for identifying user interface components and their
> states/graphical objects should not be constructed using css
> background-colours on <div>/<span> alone' then that could possibly
> cover things like custom checkmarks/focus indicators that then stop the
> user adjusting the styles? It still allows for authors to do it, but
> just with an alternative like invisible focus indicators in default
> mode/using borders not just backgrounds?

But there isn't. The ask is that non-text content has an alternative,
and that things done via styling are also conveyed in either text or
underlying markup. For both cases, the correctly used (but presumably
visually hidden) checkbox with its correct state information serves that
purpose.

Patrick H. Lauke

https://www.splintered.co.uk/ | https://github.com/patrickhlauke
https://flickr.com/photos/redux/ | https://www.deviantart.com/redux