From: George Kerscher <kerscher@montana.com>
Sent: Monday, August 21, 2023 10:36 AM
To: 'Peter Weil' <peter.weil@wisc.edu>
Cc: 'Pyatt, Elizabeth J' <ejp10@psu.edu>; 'Shivaji Kumar' <kumar140ster@gmail.com>; 'w3c-wai-ig' <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Subject: RE: Accessibility of Details Element

Hi,

A long, long time ago, we asked for the aria-details as a replacement for longdesc, which was deprecated. The longdes would point to anywhere, including external pages, which was the major objection.

We got aria-details, which IMO is appropriate for the img element. The  value of aria-details is, as you know, an ID pointing to something that has more information. It could be to a details element, or it could be to an anchor that links to an external file. We show both of these approaches in our test book for extended descriptions at epubtest.org

Both NVDA and Jaws says "has details" when you are on an image that has the attribute. I would think that if there is no aria-details, then the alt text should be sufficient. I would hope that screen readers would provide the functionality that the "Enhanced Annotations" add-on for NVDA has.

I would not expect that the target of aria-details would be read automatically, like describedBy does. Images that require extended descriptions will require descriptions that have navigation structures. For example, information in a pie chart can easily be  can easily be communicated through a table, and table navigation would be essential.

Hope that helps.

Best
George