RE: Programmatically determined link context

Zip. Nada. None. nil. Zero. There is no screen reader I am aware of that has ever presented the relationship between description and term(s), yet they are still recommended in the belief that they are ‘accessible’ for screen reader users.

Adding ARIA shouldn’t be necessary to make this work - ‘programmatically determinable’ is too imprecise to be of any utility given that all it really means is that a DOM node has access to a certain ancestor and a desired relationship is established.

These desired relationships between this or that DOM node are not specified anywhere normatively … (eg: UAAG, text alternative computation, etc.)

The phrase ‘provided in a way’ in the definition of programmatic determination is a purposely ambiguous catch-all.

It’s plausible that, given this lack of specification and the wholesale misuse of markup like description lists, screen reader manufacturers are reluctant to implement features that ‘extract and present’ the so-called semantics of these implementations.

Given the ambiguity of programmatic determinability, it’s hard to see how anyone can pass or fail 2.4.4 without using the sticky plasters that are sufficient or advisory techniques.