Re: 2.4.7 Focus Visible

On 11/07/2023 01:12, Patrick H. Lauke wrote:

> Not as laborious as trying to convince every website on the web to make
> certain changes, or to drop certain approaches, which is something that
> even just for the humble CSS outline failed for decades (noting that the
> :focus-visible approach itself was spec'd exactly with the intention of
> providing a way to be more adaptive/reactive to user needs - now we need
> a way for users to more directly express their needs in the browser
> itself - this is similar to parallel discussions about media queries and
> how users should be able to express their preferences for these in
> browser settings).

Also, just on the topic of Firefox, the setting that shows
:focus-visible even after a mouse/pointer interaction can be accessed
already even today, by going to the dark corners of about:config and
setting browser.display.show_focus_rings to true. The missing piece now
is a nice checkbox in about:preferences and then we have the best of
both worlds: users that want/need focus indication at all times can then
easily enable this feature, those who don't want/need it can turn the
setting off (but still get the focus indication regardless if they
navigate via keyboard, where it makes sense to always have it visible).

Patrick H. Lauke

https://www.splintered.co.uk/ | https://github.com/patrickhlauke
https://flickr.com/photos/redux/ | https://www.deviantart.com/redux
https://mastodon.social/@patrick_h_lauke | skype: patrick_h_lauke