Re: 2.4.7 Focus Visible

On 10/07/2023 19:40, Michael Livesey wrote:
>  > Do you seriously think they do it because of an advisory technique in
>  > WCAG? And not because, you know, they decided to do that already for
>  > aesthetic reasons? Ok...
>
> Yes, Patrick. I don't know about your development team, but we always
> check the advisories. That's why they are there.

Good for you. I suspect though that sites have been using mouse hover
styles before there was an advisory technique buried deep in the
recesses of WCAG non-normative documents...

> But again, we have got lost in this discussion, and you still fail to
> address the basic point but rather tangle us in strawman arguments. The
> basic point is that focus on click, as far as my research has show, is
> the desired UX for visually impaired users.

I don't dispute that. But I dispute that we should make a
one-size-fits-all recommendation that all sites must therefore always
show focus indiscriminately, rather than using techniques that provide
nuance and user agency on this (coupled with browser/user agents
providing settings for users to make more explicit choices - for
instance, Chrome already includes a setting that forces a focus
indicator to flash regardless of mouse/keyboard/whatever, so similar
settings in other browsers should be lobbied for).

Also, strawmen or not...I'm not stopping you from proposing an advisory
technique. PRs welcome, as they say...

Patrick H. Lauke

https://www.splintered.co.uk/ | https://github.com/patrickhlauke
https://flickr.com/photos/redux/ | https://www.deviantart.com/redux